Wednesday, March 31, 2010

13. Le Choix

Song: Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek


ELLA'S POV


I tried to sleep for the rest of the morning once my visitors had gone. I had tucked into my carrot cake, saving the icing (best bit) for last and stashing the other piece for later, hoping the nurses wouldn’t find it before picking out a rose from the vase on my table. I played that age old game: he likes me, he likes me not, he likes me, he likes me not…

“Hey,” Jordan said breezily almost running into my room. I was surprised to see him here already. He did mention he’d come back tonight but it was only midday. The more visitors the better - it's not like I'd got anything better to do with my time at the moment. And he’d brought flowers. Flowers? I know you usually bring flowers to people in hospital, but I’m not sick, I’m here because of my own stupidity.

However if a gorgeous guy is going to visit me and bring me flowers, I’m not going to stop him. He set them down on the table and brought a chair closer to my bed. I noticed how his dark denim jeans gripped his long thighs as the navy blue t-shirt revealed his tanned biceps and muscular forearms. His hair was still damp underneath his cap – he must have come straight from the shower. I wonder what it’d be like to wake up in those arms… ArrĂȘte Ella, I told myself.

“Thanks for the carrot cake,” I said smiling. He flashed his wronky grin at me before a more serious look appeared on his face. A look that could carry bad news?
“Um, Ella. We need to discuss last night. The papers want to release those images in tomorrow’s press.”

I felt numb. That was disgusting. How could anyone want to see pictures of me having a seizure on the floor? Was it because Jordan was involved? I looked towards the door and could see a lady in a suit hovering by the door. As soon as she knew I’d seen her, she glided into the room.

“Helen McNicholls,” she said austerely, holding out a slim, well-manicured hand.
“Helen’s head of PR for the penguins,” Jordan explained to me as Helen pulled up another chair next to Jordan’s and opened a notebook. “She’s here to explain our options.”

There were options?! I didn’t want to be plastered on the front page of the Pittsburgh papers, or indeed any of the pages inside. I didn’t want Jordan’s reputation to be tarnished by my mistake to take my medicine. I didn’t want him to have to dance around in the media circus I was sure to have created. I didn’t want everyone to find out I have epilepsy.

“There must be something you can do to stop them,” I began, looking between Helen and Jordan, trying to express my frustration. Helen sat forward, smiling at me, her hands pressed together.

“I have spoken to our legal team who have informed me that the press cannot lawfully print those photos because they caused your staticus epilepticus seizure and we will sue if they do. The Penguins’ organisation looks after the players, and I’m afraid we cannot fight your legal battle for you. However, the press may decide not to use the images but merely report on the story. They will want to know about your relationship, as friends or whatever you are, that you are Zach’s cousin-“

“-Do we have to bring Zach into this” I interrupted. He didn't need his name dragged through the mud because of me.

Jordan got up, moving to sit on the edge of the bed, putting a large arm around my shoulders as I leaned into him. He smelt clean and comforting. Damn him. I was trying as hard as possible to be immune to the effects Jordan was having on me right now, it was hardly appropriate.

Helen nodded. “Unfortunately, it is not up to me to decide what the press writes. Jordan is going to be involved no matter what angle the press takes - so we will have to adjust our statement accordingly. Hopefully we can try to sideline the issue and hope a more significant story will occur today.” I’d better start praying for something huge to occur in Pittsburgh this afternoon.

I decided I liked this Helen lady. She was doing her best to help us under the circumstances which must be a pain in the butt for her to be here on a Wednesday lunchtime. I’m sure she had better things to be doing than sorting out this fiasco.

“I'll give you some time to discuss a strategy whilst I call legal. Time is of the essence,” Helen said, standing up and straightening out non-existent creases in her immaculate suit.

Jordan smiled and nodded, still sitting on the edge of my bed. He kissed the top of my head, running his fingers through my annoyingly straight hair. I let out a little sigh. The last thirty six hours had been eventful to say the least. What was I supposed to do now? I wanted to call Gina for advice but I knew she had a class. So I had to rely on Helen to sort this out for me.

“So…” I said, looking up at Jordan and those lightning blue eyes. This was the best option I could think of...

"Friends?"

5 comments: