Friday, March 19, 2010

2. Clever Spy

Song: Les Sans Culottes - Allô Allô (Hello I Love You)

JORDAN’S POV

When I hadn’t got the Olympic call up for Team Canada right after Christmas I had been gutted. Eric had made it, but he’d had an excellent season so far, and I hated to say it, but he deserved it. He was my brother, and we were very competitive. I’d felt better that Markie hadn’t got it. It’d sucked if he’d got it too and I’d been left out. I could never tell him that, he’d board me next time we met the Rangers, something I could do without. Connor had called me asking if I wanted to hit Acapulco for a week during Spring Break. It was during the last week of the Olympics and I could have gone to Vancouver, though I would’ve been a depressed shit being there especially since I'm not playing on the team. Normally I would have hung out with Marc, but he was seeing this girl and was trying really hard to impress her, so I thought Spring Break. Fuck yeah.

I didn’t know most of Connor’s college friends, from Michigan but I figured if they were Connor’s friends they’d probably be ok. And it was a chance to meet some college girls. Normally all I found in Pittsburgh were puck fucks, which were ok every now and then, but even I found their ego-worshipping of the team too much. And usually they were trying to get to Crosby, poor guy.

So I’d spent the week here, getting drunk and getting a sun tan. We’d gone to a few clubs and bars, but even here I was still recognised so I’d kept a low profile at the villa after the second night. Turns out college girls can be puck sluts too. I’d got my dick wet on both nights, but didn’t feel anything. Just another girl, another notch on the bedpost and yet another number I know I’d never call. Mum would kill me if she knew the true amount of girls I'd slept with. I mean, she and Dad had taught me to have respect for women, and do the right thing. I knew she was referring to Eric when she said this, he had married Tanya, his childhood sweetheart. Marc was lusting after some businesswoman in Manhattan, and Jared was sleeping with his best friend from kindergarten. All so fucking easy for them.

As Max had reminded me, I could use his black book any time I needed it - the black book which was fast becoming the yellow pages of Pittsburgh. It’s not that I didn’t get my fair share; that was far from the truth, I just didn’t want to become a kiss n tell story, or permanently be Talbo’s wingman. I was jealous of what Eric had with Tanya. I’m too young to do the marriage and commitment thing, but it’d be nice to have someone to come home to after away trips. Fuck Jordy, man the fuck up, I told myself. I’m 21, too young for that bullshit.

I hadn’t even gone out last night, I just chilled with their prelash and had an early night. It was nice to have a two week mid-season break and get some sun. And then Connor had told me around midday as I spent another empty day on the lilo that three chicks were coming for lunch. One of them had supposedly banged Ethan last night.

And now, I was sitting next to this hot Canadian who told me she was from Montreal. I couldn’t believe it.
“Jordan,” I said.
“Ella,” she had said. And she had a firm handshake. Bet she liked to take control in the bedroom too.

“Where are you at school?” I asked, praying she wasn’t still in high school.
“Duquesne,” she said, “you?”
So she was in Pittsburgh. Did she know who I was? I didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t going to tell her I was a Penguin; she’d know who they were. Actually, I’m surprised she hadn’t seen me, but then my face isn’t everywhere like Sid’s, or Fleury’s or even Geno. So I decided to leave that one out.

“I don’t go to college, I never got round to going after high school. So what do you major in?” Not bad Jordy, you haven’t lied, you just left it out. Technically I never got round to even applying for college. I had been such a cocky bastard expecting to get drafted into the NHL. At least I had though, I didn’t want to be driving tractors on the farm all day long. That’d be such a drag.

“Arabic and Economics,” Ella replied. Wow, she’s smart. I liked smart girls, not that I saw them very often. Most puck fucks were brain dead. I nodded, taking it in. Say something.

“Cool, so what are you going to do after?” I said. Shit reply, Jordy, shit question as a reply.

I watched as she tossed her blonde hair out of her face and fixed her green eyes on me again.
“Travel, work for the government. I always wanted to be a spy,” she said. Girl with ambitions, that’s hot. And a spy? Mmmm...
“What, like CIA?” I said. Dumb question again Jordy.

“Yes, I guess,” she smiled at me, and then turned back to Ethan. What did she see in him? He was tall, I was tall. He was doing Biological Science and spent all day in a lab. I reckon I could take him. Not just on the ice. And how had he got Ella? That wasn’t fair. His arm was snaked round the back of her chair as he fed her some quiche. Pass the fucking sick bag. Well, at least he studied in Michigan whereas Ella and I were in the same city.

She pulled away from him and turned back to face me. Jordan 1 - Ethan 0.

“So you never told me what you do,” she said looking into my eyes. Fuck, her gaze itself was having an effect on me below the waist.
“Umm, I play a lot of sport,” I said.
“Ohh, what kind?” she asked.
“Hockey.” Fuck, why did I tell her? Why didn’t I tell her I played football for the Steelers or something? She was probably going to say Penguins next.
“Nice. I’ve never watched hockey before,” she admitted biting her lip. That action alone was driving me crazy.
“Never?” I asked. She was Canadian and had never watched hockey, that had to be an anomaly in itself.
“Never even though my brother’s crazy for the Habs, but it just never interested me. My cousin plays in the NHL,” she went on.
“Oh, the Habs. Really? Who’s your cousin?”
She was making me curious. She was so interesting and nothing like any girl I’d met back in the bay or in the city. She wanted to be a spy for one. And she was hot and smart. Hell, I didn’t even know girls like this existed in Pittsburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment