Wednesday, March 24, 2010

9. Zachary

A/N: Wow, I can't believe I already have 22 followers, such a nice surprise! Thank you! Just a teaser for what's to come - sorry it's such a short chapter but keep spreading the word, and please keep commenting. I love getting your feedback and reactions.


Song: Santigold - I'm A Lady

ELLA'S POV


Whenever Zach came to town we’d always try to have dinner the night before his game or after depending on his schedule. Zach always did the same thing when he was in Montreal, since Felix had season tickets. This however, would be the first time I’d be going to one of his games.

“Hey Ella, how’s senior year going? Last semester am I right?” Zach asked as he entered the restaurant. I’d arrived a few minutes earlier and the waitress had looked at me pitifully as if I’d been stood up.

“Yup, hopefully. Zach, can you get me a t-shirt for tomorrow’s match? I don’t have anything. I actually feel like a traitor because I should probably be supporting the Penguins,” I trailed off.
“Sure, tickets, and that’s a press pass so you can come see me afterwards. If you want to,” Zach said handing me an envelope. “If you come to the arena early I’ll get you a t-shirt.”
I hadn’t known it would be so complicated.

“How’s things going with Marissa?” I asked once we’d got our starters.
“Good, she moved in last month. I’m going to pop the question,” Zach said.
“Wait, THE question? The ‘Will you marry me question?’” I replied grinning my head off. Zach and Marissa have been together since forever, maybe eight years, so it’s about time he pulled his finger out and did something about it. She’s been in Zach’s life for so long, she’s practically part of the Parise clan so I’m glad that Zach is finally going to make it official.
“Yep, that one,” Zach replied not able to stop grinning either. He pulled the ring out of his pocket and showed it to me. Any girl would be crazy to turn that ring down alone.
“About time too, Zach! When are you going to ask? It’s only been ten years.”
“Nine actually. Beginning of May, when the weather’s nicer, the end of the season, maybe after playoffs.” Of course. Everything revolved around hockey so the proposal would have to slot in with that. I texted Felix the news – I knew he’d appreciate hearing it, even if it was just a text.
“Don’t rush her,” I advised.
“How’s Uncle David?” Zach asked once he’d put the ring away.
“Dad? Well much the same. He’s spending a lot of time in New York, flies home at the weekends to spend time with Mum. Dysfunctional relationship, the usual story. Actually Felix and I are going to New York for Easter,” I said, pushing the salmon around my plate.

“You and Jake still together?” Zach questioned as our mains arrived. Sometimes Jake had come along to meet Zach when he was in town.
“Uh, we’re not. I ended it,” I began.
“Good,” Zach replied tucking into his steak. “He was fucking clingy. I can’t believe you were with him for so long. He hung off every word you said, creep. Anyone else?”
I shook my head. For the first time in my life there was no one on the scene and I was happy to be single. I didn’t want to play the dating game. I’ve got finals and essays and a thesis to redraft and add a guy to the mix - it doesn’t bear thinking about.

We chatted about family stuff and Marissa for a while before Zach said he had to go back to the hotel to get an early night’s sleep. I know he likes to keep his routine and the constant flying really tires him out.

Just as Zach was getting into the taxi, I remembered what I had wanted to ask him earlier.
“Zach, do you know Jordan Stall? Staal?” I asked.
“Yeah,” he said frowning, wondering why I was asking. “I’m playing him tomorrow, see you then," and closed the taxi door.

I sent Noah a message as I walked home alone, “Hey feel like free tix to the hockey tomo night?X”
Just as I was getting into bed, I got a message back. “Cool. Meet you at starbucks at six?XX”
“Make it five?X” I had to get to the rink and get my top from Zach before they started warming up.
“:)”

So Jordan played for Pittsburgh. He was in my city. And he was playing tomorrow. Against my cousin. So that was why he was so surprised when I told him Zach was my cousin. So many questions flitted through my mind. I’d answer them tomorrow. Why hadn’t he mentioned it when I said I was studying here? He had given me a lot to think about.

3 comments:

  1. she still called noah, even after she knew jordan'd be at the game? i don't like noah :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh... Noah... bleh!

    I'm with Judith... nay to Noah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, lots of depth, good characters, plotline and whatnot :) Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete