Friday, March 19, 2010

5. Kookaburra

Song: Josh Ritter - Kathleen

A/N: Any suggestions for songs would be fantastic. This one was harder to write since it's more of a filler for what's to come. I should be posting a new chapter every 2 days but the next one will be up by the end of today!
Please leave comments too, it's nice to know who I'm writing too and your thoughts. I don't want to start leaving huge notes before each chapter. I'd like any positive criticism too. Indiaxxx


ELLA'S POV

I felt so bad for Jordan when Ethan had punched him. What the hell? So he had kissed me, but it was only a kiss. An incredible kiss though, one I hadn’t wanted to stop. Better than Ethan’s drunk slobbering last night. But I wasn’t going to bring that up. I’d probably been in no better state last night either.
I’d gone back down to the pool once I’d checked Jordan was ok to see what the hell was the problem with Ethan. I tried to look as fierce as possible when I approached Ethan who was still sunbathing by the pool. He’d better have a damn good explanation for this.

“I dunno, I didn’t like it,” Ethan had said.
“You didn't like it? Is that your excuse? It was just a kiss, you didn’t have to try and break his jaw!” I argued trying not to raise my voice or be irate. Christ, guys could be such idiots at times. I raised my eyebrows at him. His excuse wasn’t good enough. At twenty one you couldn’t just punch someone because you didn’t like what they had done. If I did that to one of my tutors because I wasn’t happy with the mark on my assignment; I’d have been kicked off my course and probably arrested too. Well, it’d be unlikely I’d see him again after today so he could just deal with it. Connor turned to talk to Ethan as Gina approached me and led me over to the bench.

“You ok Ells, you look shaken up?” she asked.
I nodded. “I hadn’t expected him to do that at all. I thought Ethan might say something but not try and break his jaw,” I explained.
“If you’re wondering, I’d go for Jordan,” Gina said quietly. “Ethan’s far too jealous and you seemed to be having fun earlier before all that. Plus he’s hotter than Ethan.”
Sometimes I questioned Gina’s psychic abilities. She just seemed to know what to say and when to say it. She pulled me into a hug before gesturing that I should go back and find Jordan.

For some reason or other, I’d just agreed to dinner. My justification: I felt sorry for him. It was my fault and going to dinner with him was the least I could do. Gina and Sophie told me to go for it, as long as I came to Palladium later on with Jordan. What was I going to chat to this blonde hockey player about? He didn’t know anything about Arabic language or culture - my main passion - and I didn’t want to talk about Economics and the only thing we seemed to have in common was my cousin Zach who Jordan seemed to know. I knew sweet f a about hockey and hoped this wasn’t going to be awkward in anyway.





“What should I wear?” I asked standing in the bathroom holding three dresses up.
“No, no and no,” Sophie said quickly. Sometimes I just loved her for her constructive criticism. I shrugged now feeling utterly clueless. How was it I could have a suitcase full of clothes and still have nothing to wear? Fortunately Gina came to my rescue once again, with the most beautiful grey silk dress. I didn't even know Gina had this dress. I tried it on and it fitted. Perfectly. I don’t know why I was so nervous about tonight; it was just dinner and then going to Palladium to celebrate the end of our Spring Break. Sophie brought me one of her homemade margaritas to calm my nerves as I got ready. Exactly what the doctor ordered. I left my hair down, not knowing what else to do with it. I didn’t fuss around too much with it, I didn’t even dye it.

“If you have ANY problems,” Gina said, “call us, and we’ll come and rescue you.”
“We might even do an Ethan and try and break his jaw for you,” Sophie said. I hope she was joking.
Ha ha, I love my friends. I rolled my eyes as Gina handed me the perfume bottle. I had that turning stomach I get before I’m about to go on a huge rollercoaster, or the way I feel the morning of an exam. But this, this was just dinner - a chance for me to apologise to him for being hit by Ethan. After all it was my fault he was hit.

I made my way down to the hotel lobby and saw Jordan sitting in an armchair dressed in a navy blue polo shirt and jeans. He looked good – good enough to eat. I made my way towards him, and he stood up. My stomach was now doing butterflies. Calm it Ella.
“You look gorgeous,” he said. I smiled, biting my lip. I need to learn to stop that nervous habit. I was never this shy around guys. My Economics course was full of them and I never had any problems talking to them. Why this one was making me feel weak at the knees I did not know. I led him outside to a waiting taxi, but he pointed to the SUV outside the hotel.

“Are you driving in Acapulco’s crazy traffic?” I asked. No one in their right mind would hire a car out here, not on the main strip where the taxis zipped in and out of the traffic as pedestrians took their own lives in their hands to cross the road.

“Nope, the house comes with a driver and car,” he explained. Oh how nice. We weren’t going to be completely alone, but at least we didn’t have to pay for taxis all night long. “Where are we going?” I asked.

“Wait and see,” Jordan replied. I decided I didn’t want to wait and see, I’m not good with surprises. Never have been. We headed south, so we weren’t going to see the cliff divers. Hmm… The car began to head higher up the cliff side and I realised we were heading back in the direction of Palladium and the boys’ villa. And past both of them. The car pulled into a driveway on the right and I read the sign, ‘Kookaburra’. We were high up and the view from up here across the bay was incredible.

“Beautiful,” Jordan said to me, leading me out of the car and towards the restaurant. Was he talking about the view or me? Once we were outside on the terrace surrounded by candles and torches I looked across at him. “Err, Jordan, I want to apologise,” I said. “I feel so sorry about what happened earlier. It’s all my fault. How’s your jaw now?”
“Huh? Oh it’s fine.” He looked confused. “Ella, he punched me. Not you.”
“Because of me,” I began. Jordan just shook his head as if I was insane. He didn’t say a word, not even bringing up the kiss. That kiss, which had been on my mind for the last few hours. Gina and Sophie hadn’t said anything about it; they knew I’d tell them everything in my own time. It was one of those unwritten rules we had, don’t push for info, I’ll tell you when I’m ready.


“Let’s not discuss Ethan, he’ll just spoil the evening,” I said trying to focus on something else other than Jordan’s forearms and the way his chest looked through his polo shirt. Had I been that drunk that I had chosen Ethan over Jordan last night? Was he even there?

“Were you at Palladium last night?” I asked out of general curiosity.
“No, I was happy to chill last night,” he said. He was holding back. I’m no expert but I could tell. I nodded.

“Are you ok going there tonight?” I pressed.
“Yeah, I need a night out and besides it’s your last night so we should go.” I decided not to read anything into that. Was I forcing him to come out?

“One thing,” Jordan said as the bill arrived and he slid his card into the black wallet. “I’m paying since I asked you to come out with me tonight.” I didn’t argue since he had insisted. I still felt guilty about him getting hit. I downed my tequila sunrise; I wanted to get drunk tonight despite the two flights home tomorrow. Tonight was going to be a good night.

“Thanks for dinner,” I said as we walked back to the car. “And I’m sorry you had to get punched.”
“Ella,” he almost growled, “forget about it. It’s nothing.”
I shook my head, about to open the car door. He put one hand on the car door so it wouldn’t open. I turned around. What was he doing? Was he going to make me walk? Dinner had been far from a disaster.

I thought he was going to kiss me again.
Wrong.
I hoped he was going to kiss me again.
Wrong.
Instead he merely asked if I wanted to go see the cliff divers.
Damn.

I stood on tip toes to kiss his jaws. “That’d be cool,” I whispered and then climbed into the car. This guy was making me behave like a chaste nun. First of all he gave me butterflies; secondly I’d had an amazing kiss I couldn’t get out of my mind and thirdly, he was making me shy, so much so I was waiting for him to make the moves. I’m not really forward but I don’t sit back like I was doing with Jordan. He pulled me right out of my comfort zone and made me feel fifteen again. Even a look could make me blush.

Once in the car, Jordan pulled me closer to him so I was leaning against the side of his chest, kissing my neck and lacing his arms around my waist. I LOVE having my neck kissed and he knew exactly where to press and kiss. I let out a little moan, feeling him grin into my hair. He kissed my neck all the way to Las Quelabras.

"Uh Jordan?" I said when we arrived.
"Yeah?" he said withdrawing his hands.
"Don't stop."

3 comments:

  1. I really love this story! Its different than others I've read but in a good way. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the story so far. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “What should I wear?” I asked standing in the bathroom holding three dresses up.
    “No, no and no,” Sophie said quickly. Sometimes I just loved her for her constructive criticism.
    -- Everyone needs a friend like Sophie*


    “We might even do an Ethan and try and break his jaw for you,” Sophie said. I hope she was joking.
    -- Somehow, I don't think she was! LOL

    ReplyDelete