Friday, March 19, 2010

1. Morning After

Song: Passion Pit - Sleepyhead

ELLA’S POV

Grrr… Hungover. And not to mention where I ended up last night. I’m a good girl, don’t get me wrong, and I definitely don’t normally do that. That. I actually felt kind of disgusted with myself. I definitely don’t live up to the ‘All American girl on Spring Break’ attitude. I was Canadian for starters. But, it was Spring Break. And, I wasn’t going to see him again. I rubbed more sun cream into my legs. It was only 11am but Gina was making sure we got our tanning quota in; she didn’t want to miss out due to being hungover.

“Ella, you’re spacing out on us,” Gina said as we lounged by the pool.
“Sorry,” I said. “Miles away.”
“Was Ethan that good?” Sophie asked from my right.

Ethan, so that was his name. I don’t know. Well, more like I can’t remember. I remember him being nice, and he had a nice smile. And blue eyes.

“Ella!” Sophie reminded me, bringing me back down to planet Earth.
“So… verdict on Ethan?” Gina asked. What, it wasn’t as if they hadn’t pulled anyone, or had a one night stand in the past. I guess maybe, they thought this was different. Because I didn’t do this, and I certainly had never brought random guys back to our apartment. Well there was Jake, but that was different. Who was I to kiss and tell?

“A lady never tells,” I said, putting my sunglasses on and heading for the pool. I heard Sophie and Gina’s moans of frustration. Who was I to give them the satisfaction of last night? Hell, I don’t even remember much. Just that I was sore this morning, and I woke up with a smile on my face, until my head started.

I floated on my back in the pool gazing up at the azure sky. I could see Gina out of the corner of my eye sit at the edge of the pool, her legs dangling in.
“Just so you know, they’ve invited us to lunch at three today. Ethan’s friends; and we’re going.”
I stood up. What?

“We had a good time after you guys went home last night, and it’s only lunch. And yes, you’re coming,” Sophie said standing up and then diving into the pool to join me.
“But, won’t that be awkward. I had a one night stand with this guy, and now I, we’re going for lunch with his friends?” I tried to argue.
“Ella, just come. There are enough of us that it won’t be awkward.”

Oh yeah. I forgot; Ethan and his guy friends had a villa for 12. Not awkward one bit. Plus Gina, Sophie and me.



I felt like I was going back into the lion’s den as the taxi wound down the narrow lane in the gated neighbourhood of Las Brisas. It was a good job I hadn’t tried to walk out of here last night, I wouldn’t have got very far; it was a labyrinth. I’d put on a nice bikini and a sundress and packed a towel, makeup and other bits and bobs into a large bag. I had no idea how long Gina and Sophie were planning on staying for lunch.

The villa was as I remembered, pink and tucked away in the trees with steps leading down to the pool beneath an aqueduct.
Ethan bounded up to the car. Yes, that was definitely him I thought. Blue eyes, brown hair, though he was taller than I remembered. I’d been wearing heels last night so that figured. I felt my stomach turn over. How was I going to keep any food down in this heat? He opened the door and led us over to the villa, introducing us to the guys. I felt I should remember them from last night but I didn’t. They probably all knew I’d slept with Ethan, and I felt embarrassed. Fortunately, I was too brown for anyone to notice I was blushing.

“This is Connor, Connor’s friend from home, Jordan; Owen, Zach…” I stopped listening and just smiled as we were introduced. They all looked the same, brown/blonde hair, all dressed in swimming shorts, all tall and muscular. One of them was hiding at the back of the group, looking uncomfortable to be there. I felt a pull to him, knowing that there was someone else who didn’t want to be here too.

We sat down to lunch and I found myself sandwiched between Ethan (of course) and this blonde stranger. Up close he was gorgeous and obviously worked out a lot. And he had this incredible jaw line.
“Jordan,” he said, holding out a huge, tanned hand.
“Ella,” I said, giving him my firmest handshake.
“Is that a Canadian accent?” he asked.
“Yep, Montreal,” I said. “Wait, are you Canadian too?” My eyes widened in surprise.
“Thunder Bay, born and bred, so is Connor,” he explained. I grinned back in astonishment, before turning round to Ethan who had been trying to get my attention.

1 comment: