Sunday, June 13, 2010

59/60. Opportunity

THIS IS 59 AND 60 ROLLED INTO ONE!!!

I can't believe this is the end. I couldn't separate the chapters to write two long updates so this is it. Thank you to anyone who has read any of this story, and if you've been with me since the beginning, thank you too! I've thought about the many different ways I could end this - but this seemed the best way. I want to thank you all for your comments - what a great source of motivation. I'm starting a story about Jordan in juniors which will be up this evening.
India :)


The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony


ELLA'S POV


As I sat at my desk at work, I thought about how perfectly this morning had been. We had taken the métro in together where I had left Jordan to his own devices whilst I went to work.

I glanced at the clock on my computer screen showing that I had exactly half an hour before the departmental meeting where it will be revealed which intern is going to be employed at the end of our placements. To say I’m nervous would be underexaggerating; all of us have worked hard for this place and I really have no idea who's going to be taken on.

After my third cup of coffee in two hours, to calm my shaking hands and legs, I had taken a seat at my desk to relax. “You look happy for a Monday,” Marie-Pier said as she looked at me over the top of her screen. I nodded back at her as she looked a little puzzled. I know it’s a Monday but waking up with Jordan was really nice. It’s something I could definitely get used to again. We haven't really talked about what we are, or where we are - quite frankly I'm too scared of ruining what we have right now by discussing it. I know that Jordan has to go back to Thunder Bay at some point, but he hasn't mentioned when, so I'm enjoying every minute I get to spend with him.

“Jordan and I are back together,” I replied as a staff memo popped up on my screen, and everyone else’s, to remind us about the meeting. Marie-Pier raised her eyebrows.

“Félicitations,” she replied smiling at me. “When do I get to meet him?”

“Maybe later?” I said thinking about my plans for lunch with Jordan. I wondered what kind of trouble he was getting up to in the city all by himself. He had said something about Max earlier when we were on the métro, and knowing those two they could get into a lot of trouble. It had been a shame I hadn’t had the chance to get to know Marc or Eric any better, they're so important to Jordan and it would have been great to talk to them more instead of being locked in the basement for a whole night.

Just as I was sitting twiddling my thumbs I got called into my boss’s office. I wondered if he had caught me doing no work. I walked in to see him with a smile on his face and an austere looking man seated next to him.

“Ella, take a seat. This is Mr. Greene, head of our Washington branch. The company has decided to make you an excellent offer for a top position to work in our Washington branch. You would be working directly under Mr. Greene and working closely with their Middle East department. It’s an ideal position for you allowing you to use your language skills in a competitive environment. I don’t feel that you’re being stretched enough here.”

I wasn't sure that I wanted to be 'stretched' anywhere, I thought as I looked again between the two men in front of me. I didn’t have any words to say, I think my wide-eyed expression and slightly opened mouth showed just how much I wasn’t expecting this. “Thank you,” I said shaking both of their hands. "Thank you."

I wondered if there was the possibility that I could stay here in Montréal instead but this position was such a great opportunity for me. Maybe this was the company's way of saying 'Sorry, you didn't get the position here, but we want to keep you in the company'. I didn't know whether to be flattered or disappointed that I hadn't won the chance to stay in Montréal but I was honoured that they had offered me this position. At least I wouldn't have to be looking for a job when I finished here.

“I know it’s a long way from home, and we really wanted you to join our Arabic team here, but with the recession we really can’t afford to. Washington is a fantastic chance for you,” my boss continued as I stood there nodding, feeling ever so slightly numb.

I couldn’t believe it. I wanted to hug my boss and Mr. Greene, but somehow that didn’t feel appropriate. I shook their hands once more, managing a smile this time.

“There is also the chance of working in New York,” Mr. Greene continued. “They too, are looking for someone who speaks fluent Arabic.” I didn’t know what to say. Washington would be incredible – the city has a certain attraction to it, and New York, well it’s my second home so it would be easier to be settled there.

“How long do I have to think about this?” I asked.

“Until Wednesday,” my boss said. “You would finish your internship here, have a week off and then your contract would start the week after.”
I took a deep breath. I had a choice at the very least. We chatted a little more about the company and what would be expected from me from either move.

“You OK?” Marie-Pier asked me as I came out of the office looking a little shell-shocked. I smiled and gave her a hug.

“They’ve just offered me a position in Washington, or New York!” I said quietly as Marie-Pier squealed excitedly and gave me a big hug, drawing attention from our colleagues nearby. It was fantastic news, but for some reason I knew I should be more excited about it that I actually am. It’s the chance to get a leg up on the corporate ladder and a step in the direction I’ve always wanted.

“What about your chum?” Marie-Pier asked as I shrugged, biting my lip and rolling my tongue between my teeth in frustration. It wasn’t going to be a fun conversation and I couldn’t keep it from him, I had to tell him as soon as possible.

I called Félix to let him know about the news - he was delighted for me saying that I should pick Washington although New York has the competitive, financial market status that I've always wanted. I could practically feel him grinning down the line, as he talked about the opportunity. Félix was so excited about it, and not just about visiting me. "You have to tell Jordan, he has a right to know," he added before I put the phone down.



"So I finally get to meet the mysterious Jordan?" Marie-Pier said as we entered the elevator. I nodded, as the doors opened on the fifth floor as more workers crowded in. If they worked on the fifth floor, it was quicker for them to use the stairs rather than the elevator, I thought in frustration, eager not to miss a minute of my lunch hour stuck in the elevator.

As Marie-Pier and I made our way out of the elevator towards the busy main entrance, I caught sight of Jordan through the glass doors, leaning against the lamp post looking effortlessly gorgeous in his polo shirt and his navy baseball cap. His head was down, texting on his phone, He hadn’t seen me yet but I was just caught looking at him, wondering how exactly I was supposed to tell him.

“Hey,” I said walking up to him, “this is Marie-Pier,” as she looked at him in amazement.

“You didn’t tell me you were dating a Staal,” she whispered to me like it was some kind of state secret, as I looked on in amusement. I really didn’t think it was a big deal, to me he's just goofy Jordan, the guy I met on Spring Break, not some big, famous hockey player. Either way I wouldn't change him, not for all of the tea in China. I just grinned at her as Jordan shook her hand.

“I brought you lunch,” he said handing me a small bag. I peeked inside as my smile grew. He had even remembered to get me some carrot cake from Starbucks – what a star.
We said our goodbyes to Marie-Pier as she headed off to a café across the street as we headed along Maisonneuve and towards Mont-Royal. Jordan took my hand in his, as we made our way across the busy sidewalks into the cool, greenness of the parc.

“How was work?” Jordan said as we started walking up the steps. I didn’t really plan on climbing to the top during my lunch break; I didn’t want to be a sweaty mess this afternoon in the office.

“Usual,” I said as we neared the top.

“Really?” Jordan said, knowing there was something up. A few people had recognised him on our ascent but nobody bothered us as we reached the top.

“Y’know, I’ve never actually been up here,” Jordan said as he led me across to the viewpoint. I couldn’t believe I’d just walked all the way up here in kitten heels – such a good workout for my butt.

“Jordan,” I began, “I’ve been offered a position within the company.” I watched as his smile grew and he drew me into a big hug, kissing the top of my head. “Knew you’d do it babe,” he replied proudly.

“It’s not in Montréal. I have the choice between Washington and New York,” I continued. Jordan frowned as he thought about this. He seemed to be taking this better than I could have expected. He let out a big grin and chuckled to himself. Seriously, he was happy about this?

“You’ll be closer to me,” he replied as his fingers roamed the bottom of my cream chiffon blouse. “That’s better than you being in Montréal. We only play here about three or four times a season whereas we play Washington and the New York teams all the time,” he said instantly thinking about hockey. “Why are you so worried about this?”

“Because,” I said wondering how to phrase this. “Because, I thought you would want to split up with me as we won't be near each other and I can’t lose you,” I said gripping a fistful of his t-shirt as if he was going to turn and leave me right here. I needed some sort of reassurance and holding on to him was helping me a little bit.

“Babe it’s your choice. Are you saying we should split up?” Jordan asked worriedly, looking down at me. I shook my head. The thought had crossed my mind as I wondered how it would work. We wouldn’t be in the same city, we would be hours away from each other and the last time showed me that neither of us were great at keeping in contact. The whole LDR thing worried me as much as starting a new job in a new city - if I picked Washington.

“No, I’m just offering you the choice. If you don’t want this, or don’t think it’s going to work...”

He looked at me as if I had just told him I had a second head or I was secretly in love with Sean Avery. Jordan shook his head, putting his index finger to my lips to make me be quiet. “Why would I walk? I love you, I want to make this work, wherever you are, wherever I am, I want to be with you,” Jordan continued.

“Good because I don't want to break up," I said wondering if we were even technically together again as we hadn't talked about this. Jordan led me away to the steps in the shade to eat our lunch. We sat there in silence for a few minutes, enjoying the peace and tranquility, watching the tourists mill around and take photos.

"I can't believe you remembered the cake," I said taking it out. Jordan smirked at me."I remember lots of things," he said quietly as we sat there.

"So you're not worried about this?" I asked checking for confirmation that Jordan was happy with my new job.

"Not really. If anything you'll be closer to me, and you can come and visit me at the weekend," he said as he took a bite of his apple. I watched him chew as he sat there. He was so calm about this, when I was worried. "Ella, actually I'm kind of excited, as long as you don't convert to another hockey team then we might have some issues," he joked. I rolled my eyes in amusement. I didn't even know the names of the teams in Washington or New York to convert to - my ignorance was shameful considering I'm dating a NHL player.

"How do I decide?" I asked looking at Jordan. I knew Washington was closer to Pittsburgh, which was the ultimate factor for Jordan, but I wanted to make sure I chose well. The jobs were practically identical, I would be doing more work in Arabic in Washington than I would in New York - but the New York office was slightly bigger. If I chose New York, would I be there permanently or would I be moved elsewhere? The same with Washington - it's a smaller branch so would I be 'stuck' there longer?

"Washington," Jordan said without even hesitating. He put his arm around me. "Go with your heart, you know which one's best for you," he replied as he kissed my temple. "I can't choose for you, but I'll respect which ever one you choose."

"Thanks," I replied. "I love you." It felt like a weight had been lifted when I had said that. Despite Jordan telling me that he loved me, which it felt like he had done almost constantly over the last two days, I finally felt ready to say it back. I smiled at him as he pressed his lips to mine.

"I think I'm going to go for Washington," I said as we drew apart. "It feels like the obvious choice. Now how far away is it for me to drive?" I asked as Jordan kissed the top of my head.

Whatever was around the corner for us I was glad that we were back together, glad that Max had locked us in his basement overnight forcing us to talk to each other. Washington would be a new challenge for us, but I can't help but think that this time around we're a little bit stronger and a little bit wiser.

7 comments:

  1. It's sweet, and I'm happy she chose her job first but wanted to make things work with Jordan too. Ella seems to be really happy about everything. Plus now I'm hungry for carrot cake.

    Congrats, you worked hard and it's great that you brought everything to a satisfying ending.

    Will you be checking in from Malawi, or is this it for two months? I had a couple of friends who did aid work there and one of them went back twice. Best of luck there and we'll see you back later this summer...hopefully my story will be done by then. I will miss your comments so much!

    Take care India!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just loved this story so much, sad its over but I really loved how you ended it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK you so much for this amazing story!
    At first i thought it was the typical love story but you really made it your own.
    Cant wait for the other post and hope you have fun in Malawi and be SAFE!! ohhhhh take lots of pics pls

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, thank you for this story! I really loved it. You're an amazing writer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the amazing story! And have fun in Malawi. Enjoy your time there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. India, thank you for everything, it has been really inspiring to me to be able to follow your story and to have your comments on mine. It was a terrific story and a happy ending that was completely in character for Ella. Have a wonderful summer... I'm off to check out your new story now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I finally found some time to catch up, and can I tell you how sad I am that "Spring Break" is over?? :(... teehee... thank you for the fabulous bed time reads, India, they were always the perfect ending to my day :). Looking forward to your new story!

    Also, what are you doing in Africa?! Whatever the reason, hope you're having a safe and exciting journey! (if you're not already back yet...)

    ReplyDelete