Monday, May 10, 2010

34. Parents

Thank you for all the comments - keep it up! It makes me so happy to see them.
So relieved to see Jordan back on the ice :)


So I wasn't sure about a song for this one but I welcome your suggestions for changes: Was-going-to-use-this-song-somewhere-else-but-here-seems-appropriate-for-now


JORDAN'S POV


After perhaps the best blowjob ever, I’m not exaggerating – I’ve had a lot of head - I told Ella I loved her. And it felt good to say those three words. I’d said them before to her, but right in the moment so technically that didn’t count. The only other person I’ve said those three words to is my Mom. Speaking of mothers, my Mom and Dad are coming to watch my last game against the Islanders. I wanted Ella to come to the game too, as my girlfriend. If she did come, it’d be the first game she’d come to as my girlfriend, the other times when she had been there, she had been supporting Parise or going to the Bell Centre with her brother. And, I wanted to introduce my girlfriend to my parents. It’s a big step; no other girlfriend has ever met my parents before. In truth the other girls I’ve had anything with weren’t suitable to take home, even if Dad might approve, Mom definitely wouldn’t.

“Ella? Want to come to my last game?” I offered playing with her hair as she snuggled against my chest.

“Sure, seeing as you’re not going to make the playoffs,” she teased. Like hell we weren’t going to be in the playoffs. At the moment we were in third position, just below Washington and New Jersey.

“Hmm,sure. My parents are going to be there,” I said. “And I want to introduce you to them.” I could feel Ella stiffen a little in my arms as she thought the idea over. “Sure, that’d be nice,” she replied as she relaxed a little. “Can Gina come?”

I guess the idea of meeting my parents was a little daunting for her, but I knew they’d love her. And if Gina was there too, maybe she’d feel more comfortable. Out of the four of us, Mom has always been the most protective of me but I really hoped she would love Ella. Ella’s funny, intelligent, ambitious and pretty and she has so much going for her. I know Mom would like a girl like that who cared about me and won my heart – which Ella has definitely done. My Dad would be easier. He’d like her if she was attractive and knew anything about hockey. I knew Ella didn’t know much about hockey, but to my dad, the fact she was Zach’s cousin would suffice. I think Ella knew the names of four or five players in total, but she didn’t pretend to know which was so refreshing. She took an interest and supported me and the team, but at the end of the day she wouldn’t know a clean check from a bad one.

“Yeah, I’ll ask Max and make sure you get seats together.”

I’m not sure if it was a good idea to put her and my parents next to each other at the game. According to my Dad, Mom is a nightmare to watch the game with, she gets really into it, cheers when I score or get a big hit, and freaks out if someone checks me. I’m a big guy, I know I can handle it, and with two other brothers in the league, you’d think that after several years she’d be better now – she’s not.



Ella had arrived back at my place before the game not knowing what to wear, though sadly she was wearing clothes. I wanted to give her one of my jerseys to wear but wasn’t sure if this would be considered as marking her. TK had freaked Kelsey out when he’d tried to force her to wear a jersey. And with my parents there it’d be obvious that she was my girlfriend. I wasn’t sure if Ella was ready to make the public step – sure we’d been snapped coming out of Diesel together but after some excellent PR, Ella had been made out to be a friend.

“Hmm do you want a jersey?” I asked, watching her rummage through her handbag for something, whilst I checked her out, looking at the way her skinny black jeans clung to her slim thighs.
“Sure, I might get cold,” Ella said, still rummaging. I might get cold? Did she not want a jersey for any other reason? For me this was a big step I'd just taken and I'm not sure Ella realised the relevance of it to me. For her to wear my jersey was her admittance into the girlfriends club. I didn't want to freak her out by telling her this so I disappeared into my bedroom searching for the jersey that I’d scored my first hat trick against Toronto in. This was one special jersey that I’d managed to hold on to and I wanted Ella to wear it tonight. Maybe she'd be my good luck charm tonight if she wore it?I wasn’t sure if I should tell her just how important it was to me – maybe she wouldn’t take it if I did, so I handed it over to her and she tied it around her waist. We always have to leave early otherwise I get in deep shit (again), and I wanted her to meet my parents and feel comfortable with them.


“Good luck, score a goal for me,” Ella kissed me as we got out of the car. Together we walked inside together, through the labyrinth of the underground corridors until we reached the players’ lounge. My parents were already there talking to Sid’s dad. I gave my mom a hug and shook my dad’s hand.

“This is Ella,” I said to both of my parents as Ella smiled graciously at them. I had already told them I was dating someone and would bring her to the game. My dad looked really chilled about the whole thing, he gave her a hug and went through all of the formalities, even saying to call him Henry. That was a good sign. My Mom on the other hand started off on twenty questions.

“Mom…” I warned, shooting her a look. I didn’t want her to grill Ella to see if she approved.

“C’mon J, you knew your Mom was never going to be easy about meeting your girlfriend,” Dad whispered to me. Eric had said exactly the same thing, as I was ‘Momma’s favourite’ but I didn’t want them to treat Ella any differently than if she was going out with Marc or Jared.

“So you’ve finished at university, what next?” I think Mom was searching for the major puckbunny symptoms (nothing else would make up for this intense Q&A session) to check that Ella wasn’t going to sponge off me. I know Ella was well-dressed and hopefully my Mom would understand that she wasn’t high maintenance and came from a good background, she doesn’t need my money.

“I’ve got an internship at KPMG in Montreal over the summer, so I’m moving back home for a little while,” Ella replied. She hadn’t told me about this, but then again, I’d never asked. We definitely need to have the discussion about summer soon, especially if she was going to Montreal and I was going to play on the farm again.

“Oh that’s interesting, and then?”

“Mom!” I warned again, trying in vain to stop her. Mom deflected my look, carrying on as if nothing had ever happened.

“I don’t know, I might try and see if there’s a place in finance for me in the Middle East and keep my Arabic up.” I knew Ella had won over my Dad, and Mom looked suitably impressed.

“You did well son, just keep hold of her,” Dad said in my ear, patting me on the back. I grinned knowing I had done well and I wasn’t going to lose her.

"See you after the game."

5 comments:

  1. India, do you sleep at all? You must have insane energy!

    Anyway, it seems like no matter how much Ella likes Jordan, he is one step ahead of her on the relationship scale, pushing things forward. His mom seems like moms everywhere, trying to make sure that the girl is good enough for her beloved son. But did Jordan notice that Ella's plans don't seem to include him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't sleep so edited this and posted it... I do have insane energy but I like my sleep too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad she's won over the parents. Hopefully Ella's and Jordan's discussion goes smoothly? I'm sensing trouble but I hope I'm wrong. They're so cute together!

    Thanks for all you do and keeping us all entertained, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great chapter . . .Glad his parents liked her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. I am sure the parents would definitely have a puck bunny gauge with the number of girls they are going to eventually meet that want a piece of the Staal meat. Doesn't help that their boys are beautiful.

    Also, totally adorable that he gave her the important jersey and didn't tell her. Aww.

    Great update :)

    ReplyDelete